“It is our mission to assist, empower and enable all students regardless of their barriers to learning, to achieve their full potential, and to do so while developing the whole student in a safe, nurturing and caring environment.”
Roxer Academy is registered with the DBE (Department of Basic Education). Our unique approach enables us to empower all our students to reach their full potential using the full mainstream curriculum as set out by the DBE.
The school's focus is on empowering and enabling students who "fall through the cracks" at a mainstream school. This could be either because the student is not stimulated enough or has a certain barrier to learning e.g. ADD / ADHD.
Roxer Academy was opened in January 2011 in Atlasville. The school was registered at the Gauteng Department of Education and has followed the syllabi of the department since then. The focus was on students that could not reach their full potential in a mainstream school because of a barrier to learning, but it became clear from the outset that the individualised approach also benefited students without barriers to learning.
The school transformed into an inclusive school and now caters for a variety of students and their specialised educational needs. These include students diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and Asperger's Syndrome, as well as gifted students and students that would normally fit into the 'mainstream' mould. This diversity has been one of the school's strengths as students are exposed to others from all walks of life.
Each student's education is tailored within the framework set out by the Department of Basic Education. This means that our approach in teaching each student is unique through applying the following principles:
- Our staff is highly qualified, motivated, experienced and registered with the South African Council of Educators.
- Each teacher is responsible for a maximum of ten learners. This enables us to give individual attention to each student and make sure that the concept is understood and applied correctly from the start.
- No student can fall through the cracks like so many do in a class of 20 or more.
- Peer pressure is eliminated since each student sets the pace. Few learners do exactly the same work at any given time.
- Students are equipped to find ways and means to deal with their challenges from day to day.
- The very experienced staff teaches students suffering from ADD and ADHD strategies to help them focus on their tasks and organisational skills.
- Special attention is given daily to developing long-, and short-term memory, logical thinking, verbalisation, visual and auditory memory.